It was the night o' Herald-Stunners at the INC debate last night, hosted at the Herald-Sun: Matt Goad hung around for the whole meeting, with Matther E. "Matt" Milliken and Ray "Ray" Gronberg stopping by to check out the scene. Hey, it's a plus of having a civic room next to your newsroom, no? Erstwhile N&O survivor (and ex-H-S'er) Jim Wise was also on the scene.
Many of them still found time to file reports for their fishwraps' dailies, which work their way into BCR's Daily Fishwrap for you each morning. Reading the papers so you don't have to -- that's what the Fishwrap is all about.
- The Plensa light-sculpture -- officially titled "Bridge to the Sky" -- is set for an unveiling December 1 during the grand opening/open house ceremonies for the new Durham Performing Arts Center. (H-S)
- A fascinating piece in the H-S covers the recently-deceased famed civil rights photographer Alex Rivera and his home, which has been at the center of a preservationist-NCCU controversy. NCCU wants to demolish the home to pave way for campus expansion; preservation activists have fought to preserve it. But Rivera, in letters to Preservation Durham and other groups, argued the house, rebuilt in 1954, had no historic value to him; the ex-NCCU senior administrator called for it to be town down, though some friends say he undervalued his own legacy. (H-S)
- Milliken and Goad covered both the INC food tax debate as well an earlier discussion on the levy at the Tourism Development Authority's meeting. (H-S)
- Duke ($3,000) and Quintiles ($2,000) joined the Scherichs and Rob Teer Jr. among the leading backers of the committee supporting the prepared foods tax. Scientific Properties and All About Beer magazine -- both key downtown stakeholders -- also joined in the picture. (H-S)
- Congressional challenger B.J. Lawson has raised a surprising half-million dollars in what's been perceived as a long-shot battle to unseat David Price, with the boost of Ron Paul's support. (H-S) (BCR's take: In an Obama year, in Durham-Chapel Hill, I think Mother Teresa would have a heckuva time besting Price.)